Friday, October 15, 2010

SOTAC

Ok, title says it all really. I got the letter that says I'm going into Commando BMT for NS. Gobsmacked. Blindsided. Punk'd. I never did thought of myself as commando material, but apparently the powers-that-be in SAF think otherwise, so there I go. Honestly, I'm excited about it. Its the bleeding COMMANDOS for goodness sakes! That doesn't mean I'm not worried sick about the physical and mental requirements. I love my food, and it shows...prominently. As for my mental fortitude, not great. Discipline and perseverance are things I've always prayed to possess. Still praying now.

So yeah, its a mixed bag.

My parents do not care for it. I know they won't make my life difficult if I decide to go ahead (and let's be honest, its not like I can get out anyway), but they're not thrilled, especially my dad. But they can't do anything. They can't do what most Singaporean parents do and find some lame excuse to get their kids to twang (you can tell what's my opinion on people like that) because...well, they're not that sort of folks. So, its kinda ironic that after lambasting parents who not only try to dig a way out of NS, but also get self-righteous and try to justify their actions, my parents are now faced the same problem. They would have simply threw me into normal NS without any complaints, but with the Commandos? Not so easy. I know they'll be worried for me while I'm in camp, hell, they know me well enough that its not going to be easy on me. For that, I really can't fault them.

Personally, I'm just going to start preparing for it now. Doing situps, pushups and pullups every night. Xiaokang says I should run, but with As this close, thats not a possibility for now. But there's not much I can do to prepare mentally for it. Its going to be my worse NCC training experiences multiplied through every single day. Imagine all the Best-cadet-competition in my past 4 years, now done everyday. Physique is barely 40% of what gets you through, trust me. I don't want to get in and get kicked out halfway. For once, can I please be good at something, God?

Haha! No pressure, man.



On other fronts, Farewell Assembly! Ok, nothing impressive, some hilarious videos, Mr Adi proving he's not quite an adult, the usual gratitious photo taking etc. Have to stop and comment on that last bit. I've developed a preference for taking photos of my friends when they're not posing. They just look more...relaxed, natural, at ease, when they laugh, smile and grin without posing. Of course, all of them worry that they look unglam, but I do vet through my stuff. I try my best not to keep those that don't look good for the subject. Still, I'm reluctant to keep doing it this way. I'm well aware that others might feel like I'm some sort of paparrazi idiot, taking photos of them in their unguarded moments. One of these days, my luck's going to run out, and someone will get fed up and give me a piece of his mind.... But I really do think you guys look good unposed.

So anyway, I took a photo of each and every one in the class on that day. Almost everyone anyway. Hopefully, they'll like what I took, and it'll no longer be just a photo of them, but a portrait they can admire.

Stopped by the Art exibition after the reception. Hanyu's storyboards were really good. Lines and strong water colors. I was very, very impressed. All I can do is shade lightly with a pencil, or darkly with a pen. Nothing else in between. Hahaha! And people get impressed by my doodles. The exibits also let us into the creation process, the thoughts, considerations and research each student put into their work. Errr....no offense meant, but I found those more interesting for some reason. Ok, put it this way. I could draw a rifle that looks more impressive than your...errr flower. But beyond the superficial looks, mine is meaningless, lifeless. Their's have weeks of efforts and focus to express a certain purpose. Damn, it really puts things into perspective.

Oh, and Vivien forgot a patch on her artwork. Hahaha!
Erm...not sure if its wise to announce it here...

No comments:

Post a Comment